EJ8 Turbo Build

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm installing everything myself. My plan was to do the trans swap and everything with that and then put on all the turbo stuff and then tow my car to the shop have them put on the piping and then have then do the ecu and tune it.
Just put on the piping yourself, install the ECU yourself, and just leave them the tune. That's gonna be the cheapest route. If you've got a dremel, a cutoff wheel, and a lot of time, you don't need the shop.

Remember, measure twice, cut once.

The Hondata you're getting is a standalone, correct? I think you'll still need a conversion harness, if it doesn't come with one.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The downpipe and dump tube are good, but that exhaust piping is waaay too expensive. I got a full eBay cat-back for $100 shipped and then cut off the muffler and welded on an A'pexi WS2. Then I sold the muffler I cut off for $30. So the effective cost of my exhaust piping was $70, and it's T304 stainless 2.5 inch mandrel bent just like that. Look around some more.

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey wen ur plannin on getting rid of that mugen front lip message me, im interested but in canada... anyway hit me up, we'll talk

oh and btw ur ej8 looks nice man, will keep watching for future updates for shure

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The downpipe and dump tube are good, but that exhaust piping is waaay too expensive. I got a full eBay cat-back for $100 shipped and then cut off the muffler and welded on an A'pexi WS2. Then I sold the muffler I cut off for $30. So the effective cost of my exhaust piping was $70, and it's T304 stainless 2.5 inch mandrel bent just like that. Look around some more.
I was considering that as well. So, the piping in order would go :
downpipe -> resonator -> the catback piping -> muffler

right? I was considering doing that but I for some reason thought there was something between the downpipe and the cat ( or resonator in my case I guess )

Sick build man, I can't wait to see the final product.
Good luck bro.
I know! me too! the guy that's giving me the rest of the trans stuff can't give it to me until June 26th. So until then I'm saving money and playing the waiting game. I'd really like it to be done, tuned, and on the street by mid July.

hey wen ur plannin on getting rid of that mugen front lip message me, im interested but in canada... anyway hit me up, we'll talk

oh and btw ur ej8 looks nice man, will keep watching for future updates for shure
Will do! and thanks. I'll let you know, but as my funds look right now I might have to postpone the lip until after the boost and tranny swap stuff, I need to afford that stuff first. Donations anyone? lol. jk.

ALSO:

I'm thinking of getting this, OBX seems like it's good and I've good stuff about them. They're not as cheap ass as ebay stuff but not quiet top of the line either, good value.

obx short shifter:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-Short-Shifter-88-92-00-Honda-Civic-CRX-Del-Sol-All-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255abe26c0QQitemZ160436201152QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was considering that as well. So, the piping in order would go :
downpipe -> resonator -> the catback piping -> muffler

right? I was considering doing that but I for some reason thought there was something between the downpipe and the cat ( or resonator in my case I guess )
Nah, that's right. The downpipe goes straight to the cat, or whatever you wanna put there (resonator, can of soda, etc.).

You're probably gonna have to do some cutting and welding with the resonator depending on the dimensions and flanges. If it matches up perfectly to your cat, you might not have to.

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nah, that's right. The downpipe goes straight to the cat, or whatever you wanna put there (resonator, can of soda, etc.).

You're probably gonna have to do some cutting and welding with the resonator depending on the dimensions and flanges. If it matches up perfectly to your cat, you might not have to.
Okay, I think I'm going with those pipes I posted earlier except,

and this catback:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-1999-2000-Honda-Civic-2Dr-Coupe-Catback-Exhaust-97-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f2fc56a8QQitemZ300429366952QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
or this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-93-94-95-96-97-98-99-00-CIVIC-2D-4D-CATBACK-EXHAUST-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19bc7b924dQQitemZ110536397389QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

EDIT:
What are people's thoughts on heat wrap?

EDIT #2:
nice! 1500 views! :D

EDIT #3:
Ordered this catback:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-1999-2000-Honda-Civic-2Dr-Coupe-Catback-Exhaust-97-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f2fc56a8QQitemZ300429366952QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Will need to chop off the muffler and put on the oval OBX one from the first page, and also weld on the resonator to where the cat would go.

Also ordered the obx short shifter.

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
UPDATE:
So, I get the rest of my trans stuff on June 26th, and I should have the rest of the exhaust stuff shipped and here in a week or two. So the plan right now is to start working on stuff about a week or two before I get my trans so that when I do get it s**t can get going and be done and tuned and on the street by...say...mid July. I think that's do-able.

Anyways...here's some pics for your enjoyment. Comments are welcome.

New lugs:

The piping:

I got for 80$, I'm gonna sand blast it and don't really care how great it looks because it's gonna be heat wrapped anyways, it's all 2.5".

Omni Power 3bar map sensor:

Just pic of my pile of stuff in the grage where it's all going to be done:

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Alright guys. I was talking to my dad and he said next week we can work on cleaning up the garage and then next weekend we can put my car back there and get working on it.
Today, I compiled a simple sketch out of a todo list for the build:

before eli's stuff:
===============================
arp studs
spark plugs
injectors
manifold with turbo, WG, and DP on
boost controller
oil feed line
oil return line
BOV onto charge piping
mount intercooler
intercooler piping
gauges in gauge bezel
clutch pedal
downpipe
resonator onto downpipe
muffler onto exhaust
mount full exhaust

After eli's stuff:
=========================================
flywheel/pressure plate/clutch setup
mount tranny
intake manifold
shift linkage
shifter on shift linkage
shift boot

================================================
TOW TO EAS to get ecu and get tuned!!!

any comments or anything missing let me know, it is late and this is just a rough outline, I'll make it more detailed as I go.

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just got the car in the garage! Pics of the progress will be up as it comes. :D

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well so far really I've just been taking stuff out. Air conditioning, cruise control is coming out, intake mani will be out soon, and exhaust mani is out and once the full exhaust is here I'll get it all welded right and that will be on.

gauges mock-up

bay

bay #2

pile of stuff

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
UPDATE:

exhaust isn't here yet :( Should be tomorrow I'm thinking. Then I can weld on the new muffler onto it and such. :D

Some work I've been doing with the bench grinder, wire brushing on the pipe from the intake manifold to the one that curves to the intercooler.:

Downpipe: It's facing the wrong direction so I'm thinking of cutting and turning that elbow on my turbo so it will face the other way so the downpipe works and the intake breather will just be on the right side of the turbo.

OBX single bend short shifter:

2000 views! thanks for the support guys!

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
keep up the good work son........!!
Thanks man! Will do!

So, the exhaust has not came in yet today. :( Hopefully...tomorrow?

A few things:
- My downpipe doesn't work with my setup. It has the exhaust side of the turbo facing the wrong direction. So yea...I'm either going to just get a new one and do something with this piping idk. whatever. I need it to be like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-2000-HONDA-CIVIC-DX-LX-EX-VX-SI-EK-TURBO-DOWNPIPE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c5400e632QQitemZ190387906098QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

- I'm going to need a slim radiator fan for the breather to fit on the end of the turbo.

- old exhaust was out as of last night and the car is up on blocks. Pics of that stuff should be up really soon. Tonight I have date and Wed night I'm chilling with my old roommate. Should be working on her again Thu night, pics will come then.

daddy

Coming along great! Let me know if you need parts, we'll set you up the best we can

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Coming along great! Let me know if you need parts, we'll set you up the best we can
Thanks!

and yea, as things are going along I'm finding that I'm going to need a few things. A slim radiator fan ( as I don't want to spend money yet to get a whole new radiator, but I will get one sometime later ). Also I need an obd conversion harness.

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well got a little work done today. There's the one bolt on the bottom middle of the intake manifold that I can't really get to, but soon the intake manifold will be off. Got the turbo and wastegate stuff on right ( without gaskets, just a mock up ) and the pfab manifold being that it's not very common is make alot of the piping a little difficult. I'm going to have to cut the flange on the dumptube and turn it slightly so that it works, new downpipe, etc.

out with the old

the axle back part of the new exhaust. Gonna chop off that big fart can and put on my other one. I have a catback here just didn't get a chance to take a pic of it before we got it on the car. I'll take a pic of it on the car later.

mock up :

^ Looking at this, you can see that the downpipe I had posted earlier will not work. I'm going to need something like this :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-DEL-SOL-D15-D16-T3-T4-TURBO-DOWNPIPE-DOWN-PIPE-T3-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a5bcfb735QQitemZ250648442677QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

But even when you look at that, the flange will have to be chopped of and turned to fit on the exhaust side of the turbo. : /

some shining I'm doing on the piping, had some rust on it.

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
BUMP.

I may be getting a good offer on some Legit cpr's from a guy that knows someone in Japan. So, question does anyone think cpr's would look good on this car? And if so do they make them in anything but white? Because I'd love gold or bronze or maybe even gun metal. Also, I could get some Trak R's and I could paint those any color but we all know I wouldn't paint cpr's.

So, any opinions on that? please.