f**ked Up My Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

honda_ek9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
why dont you do this instead...we prob know one of your pistons is f**ked. so as of putting your type r pistons in there would just burn a hole though it. as of everything else....i suggest using your itr cams and intake on it and call it done. at least youll be eliminating the secondary bull s**t the gsr intakes have. or if your head and valves are ok on the itr....just throw the head on the gsr motor
yea...haha...so u guys think i should take off the vtec head and check out whats wrong...because i dont really know how to do things yet..so if i do do this i am not going to know what i am doing...pretty sure i can do it...but do you guys think i should...because i dont have any experience...

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you dont have any experience i suggest not taking the head or switching anything over to the gsr. or if you really are serious about attempting this on your own.....granted it might take you longer to do compared to some of us who are more inclined....shoot me a pm with your email addy in it and ill send you basically a dyi, with torque specs, sequence and so on. but like i said thats only if you truly want to attempt this and gain some experience. otherword if you dont want to do this....suggest leaving it alone

honda_ek9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you dont have any experience i suggest not taking the head or switching anything over to the gsr. or if you really are serious about attempting this on your own.....granted it might take you longer to do compared to some of us who are more inclined....shoot me a pm with your email addy in it and ill send you basically a dyi, with torque specs, sequence and so on. but like i said thats only if you truly want to attempt this and gain some experience. otherword if you dont want to do this....suggest leaving it alone
yea send it to me...i want to attempt this...

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
OR you can get a friend with experience to help you, and you can gain knowledge that way. we all gotta start one way, me personally, i never delt with a itr, but the other B and Ds it thats a diff story, and im SURE its the same dam thing in a itr. you just got a much nicer motor to experiment on, thats all. goodluck! =)

honda_ek9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OR you can get a friend with experience to help you, and you can gain knowledge that way. we all gotta start one way, me personally, i never delt with a itr, but the other B and Ds it thats a diff story, and im SURE its the same dam thing in a itr. you just got a much nicer motor to experiment on, thats all. goodluck! =)
haha true...but yea ill probaly talk to my friends...they got experience...

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yea i learned myself on a old ass motor, a long ass time ago, i think it was a d15 or something. but i took it apart, no problem.. getting it back together O_O thats the hard part. eventually youll figure out what parts go where, so its no problem at all.

honda_ek9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea i learned myself on a old ass motor, a long ass time ago, i think it was a d15 or something. but i took it apart, no problem.. getting it back together O_O thats the hard part. eventually youll figure out what parts go where, so its no problem at all.
did you rebuild it or just took it apart and reput the motor back...how long did it take you....

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i just took it apart, and put it back together. it took me about 3-4 weeks to take it apart, put it back together, and be familiar with where everything goes, with the help of a helms book. it was a sohc non-vtec so it was a little easier vs a dohc vtec motor.

*edit* ive only taken apart 4 motors (d15?, b20, b18, d17) sometimes i have troubles, but all cars pretty much have the same components, you just got to know how it works, where it goes, and the torque spec.

please please please, everything torques to a certain ft. lb. make sure you get it correct or youll end up having headaches for days on.

honda_ek9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i just took it apart, and put it back together. it took me about 3-4 weeks to take it apart, put it back together, and be familiar with where everything goes, with the help of a helms book. it was a sohc non-vtec so it was a little easier vs a dohc vtec motor.

*edit* ive only taken apart 4 motors (d15?, b20, b18, d17) sometimes i have troubles, but all cars pretty much have the same components, you just got to know how it works, where it goes, and the torque spec.

please please please, everything torques to a certain ft. lb. make sure you get it correct or youll end up having headaches for days on.
haha...yea..do u have specs of the torques...for an ITR....

ey wat do you guys think of this...buying a obd2 gsr motor....and then throwing my ITR Intake manifold and then throw my Itr cam and cam shaft on to the gsr block....

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i dont have specs, but im sure google has some.

and about transplanting the cams and such into a gsr motor, imo, itll only be nice if you were building for n/a

honda_ek9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i dont have specs, but im sure google has some.

and about transplanting the cams and such into a gsr motor, imo, itll only be nice if you were building for n/a
well i juss want the car to beable to run and be at least almost as fast as the ITR...and not spend so much money on it...because im borrowing money from my parents...about 1000 to 1500...so yea...

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
it wont run as fast, but will be quick. just throw on your i/h/e and get tuned. and youll most likely run quicker.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
why not get an ls long block to throw in for the time being. you can slowly build your itr motor back into the beast it should be, then turn around and sell the ls motor and drop the itr back in

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^--- yea, it IS alot cheaper doing that than goin the gsr route.

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Bottom line:
You're not going to know what it needs for sure without tearing it down first.

Can you do it? Sure you can, it's not that hard and there's plenty of shop manuals that
will help you and show you how.
Here's a few pictures of my 98 Civic rebuild
http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/jcquack/BODY AND PAINT/ENGINE REBUILDS/98 CIVIC/

How much will depend on what you need of course but a basic engine kit with all
gaskets and bearing/rings-about $300.00 add another $100.00 for a valve job
(do a valve job while the head is off) plus whatever is broke.
It may not be salvageable depending the condition of the block.

Next option: Buy a remanufactured short block and use your head (if good) and the rest of
engine components.
Or
The cheapest way out, and easiest, find a junk yard with a low milage engine that will
also install it for you. They'll even guarantee it.
Or
the expensive way-Pay someone to rebuild it for you.:cool:

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Bottom line:
You're not going to know what it needs for sure without tearing it down first.

Can you do it? Sure you can, it's not that hard and there's plenty of shop manuals that
will help you and show you how.
Here's a few pictures of my 98 Civic rebuild
http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/jcquack/BODY AND PAINT/ENGINE REBUILDS/98 CIVIC/

How much will depend on what you need of course but a basic engine kit with all
gaskets and bearing/rings-about $300.00 add another $100.00 for a valve job
(do a valve job while the head is off) plus whatever is broke.
It may not be salvageable depending the condition of the block.

Next option: Buy a remanufactured short block and use your head (if good) and the rest of
engine components.
Or
The cheapest way out, and easiest, find a junk yard with a low milage engine that will
also install it for you. They'll even guarantee it.
Or
the expensive way-Pay someone to rebuild it for you.:cool:
just looking through your pics, did you know, its best to sit your cams and crank, right side up like | <-- that

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
just a precaution, so you do misalign the lobes, or scratch, or chip it somehow.

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well maybe, but I'm sure it would be much worse to have one fall over.

Status
Not open for further replies.