Mansers 96 Gsr Swapped Si Slow Build

Manser

Alright guys, I need some advice. My wheels are 15x7.5. What tire brand should I go with? I've heard good things about khumo's, what about you guys? Also, what tire series should I go with? One of my buddy's suggested 195/45/15's but Idk.. What do you guys think?

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
to not throw the spedo off in your car you need something closer to a 195/55 195/50. i run 195/45s though and its only supposed to be like 3mphish off.

and i recommend bridgestone potenzas if you want a summer tire. i loved mine

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Alright guys, I need some advice. My wheels are 15x7.5. What tire brand should I go with? I've heard good things about khumo's, what about you guys? Also, what tire series should I go with? One of my buddy's suggested 195/45/15's but Idk.. What do you guys think?
What is the intended use for these tires? Do you need all-seasons? Summer tires? Just spirited driving? How long do you want them to last? What's your budget?

There's plenty to choose from. Kumho makes a couple of decent tires, but there are others out there that are far better if you're looking for pure performance. But, it does depend on your budget and intended use.

Manser

What is the intended use for these tires? Do you need all-seasons? Summer tires? Just spirited driving? How long do you want them to last? What's your budget?

There's plenty to choose from. Kumho makes a couple of decent tires, but there are others out there that are far better if you're looking for pure performance. But, it does depend on your budget and intended use.
I just want a summer tire. I usually buy seperate winter tires so theres really no use for all seasons. Rough budget would be about 500$ish.. Maybe 6 if I hear of a good tire thats worth the extra.. Id like for them to last atleast two summers or so if possible. Im not really a gear-banging, burnout-doing kind of guy, I treat my stuff with more respect then that. So they should last me atleast two summers..

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I just want a summer tire. I usually buy seperate winter tires so theres really no use for all seasons. Rough budget would be about 500$ish.. Maybe 6 if I hear of a good tire thats worth the extra.. Id like for them to last atleast two summers or so if possible. Im not really a gear-banging, burnout-doing kind of guy, I treat my stuff with more respect then that. So they should last me atleast two summers..
With that budget and that tire size, you can get any of the best street tires available. Getting them to last 2 summers depends on how much driving you would be doing. But, to get 20k miles out of these isn't unheard of.

Toyo R1R (195/50R15 is better than 205/50R15)
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
Dunlop Star Spec
Yokohama AD08
Hankook RS3
Kumho XS

Pretty much in that order. I have driven on all of these tires and they are all very very good. Best probably being the Toyo R1R for all around traction (rain/dry) and not to mention fair price. The Kumho XS is the worst of the bunch but still better than your typical "ultra high performance tire".

Last edited:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice build so far! :thumbs up.

I'm not so much a fan of 99-00 tails on 96-98's. 96-98's should stay 96-98's. Unless you do the front too.

Rough budget would be about 500$ish..
Wish I had that kind of budget for tires :lol:.

With that budget and that tire size, you can get any of the best street tires available.

Toyo R1R (195/50R15 is better than 205/50R15)
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
Dunlop Star Spec
Yokohama AD08
Hankook RS3
Kumho XS
:thumbs up all great tires. If you can afford the RE-11's or Toyo's, they'd be FANTASTIC for a daily street car.

Manser

Nice build so far! :thumbs up.

I'm not so much a fan of 99-00 tails on 96-98's. 96-98's should stay 96-98's. Unless you do the front too.

Wish I had that kind of budget for tires :lol:.

:thumbs up all great tires. If you can afford the RE-11's or Toyo's, they'd be FANTASTIC for a daily street car.
Thanks man! And yes, I do plan on doing the 99-00 front end, however I'm buying tires first and then piecing the front end together and then sending the entire car off to get painted sometime this summer! I can't wait to get it painted! And about the budget, I'm a huge saver. Usually put aside 125$ as spending money for two weeks and bank the rest :p and thank you civexspeedy for the tire feedback! I'll start looking around for the toyo r1r's next week :d

Manser

Soooooooo, the last piece of the puzzle arrived today :D It turns out tires were alot more expensive then I thought because of shipping and whatnot.. So when it came down to it I bought a set of Kumho Ecsta AST's because a buddy of mine had ran them before and said he loved them. I payed 525$ CAD to have them delivered and installed on my rims with valve stems. I bought 195/50/15's. Anyhow, pictures can do the talking.

Manser

cant wait to see the wheels on the car.
Not sure how to have two quotes in one reply :oops: but thanks guys! Really means alot.. Also, keep in kind I still have an exhaust, coils, lcas and camber kits that all have to go on come spring :D Anndddddddd, Im currently in the process of trying to piece together a 99-00 front end and then after that the car should be getting sent for paint.. I have a school savings fund with about 2500$ and I think ive got my mom convinced to let me borrow the money from that account to paint my car so that I can take it to prom and then just pay back my "self-loan" :D

On a side note, does anyone know of any good touch up paint or anything? I was thinking about re-doing my wiper arms and the moldings ny the windows(paints all cracked and peeling off). I believe I once read that Mothers had something called "back to black" or something? Just wondering if you guys had any feedback on this sorta thing..?

emerican

Registered VIP
back to blakc would work on the molding
Metal wiper arms would have to be painted though i just used normal krylon multi purpose paint with primer in it to do mine.

ERs10

Should look pretty cool once all the parts are installed. Same as you man just waiting for spring to come so I can put some money into mine.

Manser

Well, been a while since ive posted anything.. Hours got cut back at work a little so moneys a tad tight lately, however im very dedicated to getting this car finished for prom so im saving every penny i make.. I went out the other day and decided to spend my walmart/canadian-tire gift cards from christmas :P Bought a whole wack of cleaning supplies, also picked up a strut tower bar from a girl I work with off her smashed 99 coupe. Then i found a 99 ex sedan for 300$ in okay condition so I bought that so that I could do the 99-00 front end conversion.. Im debating on wether to fix the gas leak and bondo the rust and keep it for a winter beater for next winter or not? Opinions...? Anyhowm ill let the pics do the rest..
Strut tower bar

If you can see in this pic theres like, splotches on the bar.. Kinda weird looking, almost looks like dried up water spots.. I tried wiping it down with degreaser from work but it didnt come off.. Any ideas?

OEM honda detailing kit.. Regular 80$, my dad picked it up at a local auction for 20$ :D

All the supplies from Walmart/Canadian-Tire. Roughly 50$ worth :D

And heres the 99 ex sedan.. My dad had to drive 2 and a half hours in his buddys truck to pick it up and when he showed up I was already at work so my mom took a quick picture and I took a few more when I got off work. However, it was partially snowing out and fairly dark so ill take some better ones tomorrow for you guys! Stay tuned!

No visible rust or dents on the front end what so ever! :D

Alphonse

Forever avoiding potholes
5+ Year Member
Might as well keep it as a winter beater, like why not? Will be a first for a 99-00 to a 96-98 front end swap though

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd fix the gas leak and rust and then sell it for a couple grand

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This. Maybe just the gas leak even. Just be careful not to blow yourself up and work in a well ventilated area. :lol:

Manser

Deffinately an option.. Only reason im debating on selling again is because it wont go into 4th sometimes.. But idk just yet.. I talked it over with my dad and im pretty sure were just going to fix the ags leak and then drive it to my mechanics and get them to look it oer and see what it needs before next winter and thatll make up my mind wether to keep it or not.. Hopefully they dont find too much worng with it, I kinda like having something different (coupe to a sedan) and someday it may be another project? :twisted:

Manser

Have a huge update coming within the next couple of days.. Haven't posted on here in a while and I have to go to work now but i'll post more when I get the chance.. Heres a teaser just to keep things interesting..

*Note the wheel gap.. ;)